The 1 Time Each Year Dax Shepard Gets a Special Gift From Kristen Bell — and It’s Not For His Birthday

by Jeremy Spirogis
Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard

Like many celebrities, Dax Shepard has struggled to stay sober. However, he’s married to lady, Kristen Bell, who’s by no means struggled with medicine or alcohol. So how does this couple, who comes from utterly completely different backgrounds handle to make their relationship work? Here’s the story of a pair who makes use of mutual assist and encouragement to reside their greatest life.

Dax Shepard struggled with medicine and alcohol

Beginning at age 18, Shepard discovered that he had a style for medicine and alcohol. Soon, it turned an issue that spiraled uncontrolled. 

“I just loved to get f**ked-up,” he instructed Playboy, as reported by US Weekly, “— drinking, cocaine, opiates, marijuana, diet pills, pain pills, everything. Mostly my love was Jack Daniel’s and cocaine.”

Shepard blames his dependancy to childhood abuse. At the age of seven, a neighbor touched him inappropriately and it precipitated Shepard to wrestle with adverse ideas for a very long time. 

During an interview on The Jason Ellis Show, Shepard shared a stunning statistic concerning the hyperlink between abuse and dependancy. Those who’ve suffered sexual abuse solely have a 20 % likelihood of creating wholesome habits round medicine and alcohol. That means a whopping 80 % of victims grow to be addicts and Shepard believes that he falls into that class. 

“I was like, ‘hm, interesting,’ because in my mind I just like to have a f**king great time,” Shepard mentioned, as reported by the New York Daily News. “But when you hear a statistic like that, I’m like, ‘Oh no, I was going to be an addict, period.’”

Kristen Bell helps Dax Shepard have a good time his sobriety

View this post on Instagram

To the person mocked me in our marriage ceremony pictures as a result of I cried too many tears of pleasure, Who wore a child Bjorn for two straight years to indicate his ladies how one can be as adventurous as doable, Who held our expensive little shakey mann pup for eight hrs straight on the day we needed to put him down, I understand how a lot you liked utilizing. I understand how a lot it acquired in your means. And I do know, as a result of I noticed, how arduous you labored to reside with out it. I’ll endlessly be in awe of your dedication, and the extent of fierce ethical stock you carry out on your self, like an emotional surgical procedure, each single night time. You by no means fail to make amends, or make an apology when its wanted. You are all the time accessible to information me, and all of our associates, with open ears and hard love when its wanted most. You have grow to be the fertilizer within the backyard of our life, encouraging everybody to develop. I’m so proud that you’ve got by no means been ashamed of your story, however as a substitute shared it broadly, with the hope it would encourage another person to grow to be the very best model of themselves. You have definitely impressed me to take action. I really like you greater than I ever thought I might love anybody, and I would like you to know, I see you. I see how arduous you’re employed. You set a wonderful instance of being human. Happy 14th yr sobriety birthday, @daxshepard. Xoxo

A post shared by kristen bell (@kristenanniebell) on Sep 1, 2018 at 6:20pm PDT

After a variety of arduous work and soul looking, Shepard now has 15 years of sobriety. That’s one thing his spouse, Bell, is extraordinarily happy with. 

“I will forever be in awe of your dedication, and the level of fierce moral inventory you perform on yourself, like an emotional surgery, every single night,” Bell wrote in an emotional tribute on Instagram final yr.

She concluded by saying: “I love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone, and I want you to know, I see you. I see how hard you work. You set an excellent example of being human. Happy 14th year sobriety birthday.”

In addition to her candy phrases, Bell additionally handled Shepard to a tour of the King’s Hawaiian bread manufacturing facility. If that looks as if a giant deal for a day that’s not his precise birthday, that’s as a result of Bell considers Shepard’s sobriety day much more necessary. 

“I’m very happy he was born so I celebrate his birthday,” Bell instructed People, “but I’m extraordinarily [happy] that he has stayed sober because that’s what allows me to have him in my life as a husband and as a father.”

Bell appreciates Shepard’s arduous work and dedication a lot that she spoils him yearly on his sober birthday. “The nicest presents she’s gotten me are always on my sober birthday,” Shepard instructed People. “In fact, my real birthday … still haven’t gotten a present!”

An instance of 1 present that Shepard holds particularly expensive is an authentic copy of The Adventurers by Harold Robbins. Shepard is known as after the primary character within the story, however Bell made it much more particular by having his family members write messages within the e-book.

“It was incredible,” mentioned Shepard. 

Kristen Bell joins Dax Shepard in sober parenting

Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard
Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard | Kevin Mazur/VF14/WireImage

While memes about mommy needing wine thrive on the web, Bell admits that she doesn’t use alcohol this fashion.

“The wine meme is a very funny thing. I suppose I take it as generalized ‘kids are stressful.’ I personally don’t have wine every day, but my wine is Netflix and cuddling with my husband or our date night,” she instructed HuffPost. 

But the rationale Bell abstains is that she’s discovered from Shepard that it isn’t wholesome to make use of alcohol as a stress reliever, not as a result of she feels any strain to keep away from ingesting round her husband. In the interview with HuffPost, Bell shared that Shepard isn’t triggered when individuals drink round him. He understands that whereas he could have misplaced his ingesting privileges, that doesn’t imply others have. 

While Bell admits that she doesn’t keep away from alcohol utterly, she does strategy it with a wholesome perspective. That, and Bell’s encouragement, creates a splendidly supportive setting for Shepard to proceed his sobriety. 

Leave a Comment